Hello everyone! I’ve been on a hiatus, recovering from a pretty intense two months of working from home while still doing everything else–mothering, wife-ing (needs to be a word), sewing, blogging, etc. Phew. I really am exhausted. But not too exhausted for this…
A new Washi Dress! Last month Rae asked me to do some pattern testing for her new Washi Dress pattern because my “ladies” (call them what you will) fit a gap she was looking for in pattern testing. *insert silly giggles*
This is actually my second Washi. The first one went a bit awry due to some midnight cutting errors (ahem), but this one, this one I love.
Since it’s really late right now and I just took these pictures in my bathroom mirror, please forgive the shortness of this post and the lameness of the photos. For now I want to tell you that Rae’s pattern is wonderful–easy to follow with detailed directions and helpful photos. I learned a lot from sewing this dress (read: bust darts!). You will come away from sewing this dress with new skills AND beautiful dress. Win win!
On the sizing: Rae had me test this pattern because I am, how shall we say this politely? Not small up top. I could go into more detail, but that would turn this into a whole other kind of blog and that’s not what I’m going for. 🙂 Suffice it to say, I have to make a lot more adjustments to patterns when sewing for myself than the average lady.
Rae has touched on the issue of Full Bust Adjustments on her blog, and let me tell you: learning how to do a FBA is priceless! If you are well-endowed up top, you MUST learn how to do one. But for now, let me give you a little secret. I was able to accomplish almost the same thing as a FBA by doing what I now call a “cheater FBA.”
I blended two sizes together for the bodice by using and XL for the chest area and a M for the shoulders and neckline. I also used a Medium for the front skirt and back pieces. There were some changes I had to make to other parts of the pattern because of this, but I’ll go over those in more detail in a future post.
I had a difficult time getting the bottom of the bodice to hug my body so I simply added an extra 1 1/2 inches of shirring to the bottom of the back and made the shirring lines 1/4 inch apart rather than 1/2″. This pulled the bodice in tighter around my ribs.
Altogether, I think the alterations really worked out well for me. Instead of hemming the bottom I serged it and added a little vintage lace for trim. I added the same lace to the neckline and arm holes.
My Washi is lacking the iconic U cutout of Rae’s originals, but I found that it showed too much cleavage on me. I plan on wearing this to church and with the kids, so… I need to keep those bad boys contained as much as possible.
Oh goodness, it’s late at night and I am saying a lot of things. Better get to bed. Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you buy the Washi Dress pattern and love it as much as I do. If you’re looking for help on how to adjust the bodice for a full bust, shoot me an email: cailamade (at) gmail (dot) com. I’d love to help you out!
P.S. I love the dress with this belt!
P.P.S. I’m wearing this on our date night tomorrow (Friday) night and I promise we will have a little photo shoot so you can have better pics of the dress!