I drafted the front yoke so that it cuts away between each hexi. It took me a lot of tries to get those notches right, but it worked! (I think it took 8 different attempts to get it right. Every time I wanted to give up I thought, “Giving up is for chumps!” and carried on). I wanted each little hexi to stand out against bare skin, and I love the result. Don’t you just want to kiss that little bumble bee?
The hexis on the side panels of this dress took quite a lot of time to apply. I mean, you can imagine it. First, I hand stitched each one using the English paper piecing technique. Then I ironed each one, removed the basing stitches and paper, pined them to the dress, and stitched them down with my machine. How many hours did that take? Oh goodness, I don’t even know!
So dang worth it.
HEXI HAIR CLIPS
I continued the hexi theme into Abby’s hair with little Hexi Hair Clips! Super fun, right? These are little hexagrams of fabric (also prepared using English Paper Piecing) hand-stitched onto a backing of felt. I added little hair clips to the back and voila! I’m working on a tutorial for them now and should have that to you later this week.
A few last little details about the dress:
I used a rolled hem for this dress, rather than the wider hem called for in the Popover pattern. I like how a tiny hem makes the dress look dainty and allows for that swoop at the bottom. The yoke pieces each required 2 pieces of fabric rather than the one in the Popover pattern, because my yoke are curved and couldn’t be folded on the top edge. Hmm… I think that’s about it! Oh, except for one thing I can’t forget…
The fabrics I used!
- Front and back: a chevron-y print from Joann’s Fabric & Crafts
- Back yoke and bias ties: Calico in Lilac by Heather Ross
- Side panels and front yoke (the white backing): Kona cotton in white
- Hexis: various prints from the Briar Rose fabric line and other scraps from my stash.