Hello lovelies! It’s a beautiful morning, my puppy is wrestling a toy at my feet while my kids still sleep, and I have something exciting to share with you! I creatively “stumbled upon” making these awesome leather and ikat wall hangings while thinking up ways to incorporate this stuff into our home decor. These ikat prints from Lowpricefabric.com and this leather from the Leather Hide Store are just SO AWESOME I needed to look at them every day. I’m also in the mood for succulents (I think it’s safe to say a lot of people currently feel the same way), so I figured out a way to hang them on my wall and give me joy all the time! Wonderful, yes?
Making these wall hangings is actually fairly simple. You don’t need a sewing machine, just a few simple, inexpensive supplies.
- Piece of leather
- Piece of IKAT
- Steel furniture nails
- Embroidery hoop
- Cut out a piece of IKAT that will fit into your embroidery hoop. I simply cut a square and trimmed the extra off after the hoop was assembled.
- Open up the hoop and place the fabric inside. Put the outer ring over the inner ring and tighten using the screw at the top. Remove the extra fabric.
- Use the assembled hoop to trace a circle on the back side of the leather.
- Trace a line to remove the top 1/3 of the circle, and add 1/2″ to the width on either side. Make this line dip in the center slightly, for a little extra flare.
- Cut out the leather using a rotary cutter and cutting mat, or a sharp pair of scissors.
- Cut a piece of leather for the strap measuring 18″ long by 1/2″ wide.
- Using the steel nails, secure the leather to the wood of the embroidery hoop by hammering in the nails at 1″ intervals.
- Finally, nail the strap to the sides of the embroidery hoop, just above the leather pocket.
Here are some step-by-step photos to help with the process:
Voila, you’re done! Wasn’t that fun, and EASY? You all know I love sewing, but making a no-sew craft like this while I sit in the living room and watch old episodes of Parks and Rec with the hubby is just so perfectly pleasurable. (Psst… be sure to scroll to the bottom for the GIVEAWAY!)
The best part is, these can be used as succulent planters, or simply as catch-all wall pockets:
Of course, I like to use them for both:
I hope you enjoy making these Leather and IKAT succulent wall hangings! If you have any questions, let me know. I plan on sharing how I planted the succulents in there another day this week, so stay tuned!
If you would like to win a package filled with this leather and IKAT, please use the Rafflecopter below to enter the giveaway! On Friday I will pick two winners and they will receive a package with filled with these lovely items. You can use them to make these wall hangings, or anything really! For leather sewing inspiration I suggest this DIY Leather Craft Pinterest board. It’s awesome.
Happy making, and good luck on the giveaway!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
For more leather craft projects, please see these posts:
Many thanks to the Leather Hide Store and Lowpricefabric.com for providing the materials for this project. Please visit their websites, and follow them on Instagram at @leatherhidestore and @michaellevinefabrics!