Last week I had the privilege of hanging out with some college freshman at California Baptist University (CBU). Here’s some of what I’ve been thinking since.
|College roommates in December 2006
I laugh like I’m screaming. It’s ridiculous. 🙂
Any time I’m around college students I remember:
|A more normal pic of the three of us.
Amy, Caila, and Krista.
- Late nights in the kitchen wearing pajamas and eating peanut butter with a spoon
- Watching reruns of Friends after classes got out at 5:00p
- Writing for the school newspaper
- Impromptu dance parties in the living room
- So much enthusiasm
- Study rooms in the campus library
- Coffee shops with friends
- Never enough sleep
- Silly crushes
- Bible study–hundreds of students gathered
- Walking through piles of leaves (I went to college at Oregon State University)
- Wondering about the future
- Hope and fear, all twisted up
- Laughter, always lots of laughter
Our panel discussion covered three areas of health: physical, emotional/mental, and spiritual, and I was there to discuss spiritual health.
|Being silly with House of Charis girls at the beach in 2005|
It’s been a long time since I’ve talked to college students about spiritual things, but it is something I love to do. It must be the raw potential they represent or something. College women–freshman especially–just seem to be so many things rolled into one: intelligence, enthusiasm, innocence, independence, fear, hope. They make me remember what it felt like to be at the beginning of things.
Anyway, today I’m posting my notes from the panel discussion just in case anyone out there is interested in reading them. 🙂 They are a mish-mash of the things I learned about life in college and am still learning now. My friend Janelle, who asked me to participate in the panel, provided me with the questions ahead of time. These are the notes I typed up ahead of time–not necessarily what I actually said.
Hope you find something useful in these! If you choose not to read the whole thing (it’s long) I won’t be offended! Take note, I didn’t edit these, just wrote them down in a hurry a few hours before the event. 🙂 Thanks for reading!
Caila’s Notes on Spiritual Health for Panel Discussion at CBU
|One of many late nights of music at the House of Charis.
Caila, Erika Joy and Erica Rabe
|Friends at our goodbye party when we left Oregon in 2007|