Well, we did it. The move is mostly over; only random items remain scattered throughout our old apartment. You know the kind. Old odds and ends, things that didn’t fit in any box but are still useful so you don’t throw them away. We will finish cleaning it up over the next couple of days.
Brian and I and the kids are safely settled at my parents house for the next three-or-so months, transitioning to a new home and preparing for the househunt. How do I feel so far, you ask? Well, considering that Abby has been in bed for almost two hours and she is still crying, I’d say I feel like a crazy momma. 🙂
Transition is always hard for my kids (all kids?), especially Abby, so I guess I should have expected this. But I keep reminding myself of these words from my post on change: “The best thing I can do for my family and for myself is to accept the changes that are to be expected with grace and patience.” (Ha, I needed that today). I’m taking a lot of deep breaths and praying for patience.
This, too, shall pass.
Well, my poor girl is still crying so I should head up to check on her again. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, and thanks for stopping by! I should have some more “real” posts up soon.
Well, it is actually Monday morning now (I wrote the first half of this post last night while Abby was fighting sleep) and things always look better when the sun is up. I thought I’d let you all know what happened when I went upstairs to check on Abby because a) it’s really funny, and b) it taught me a lesson.
The thing about Abby crying in bed is that 90% of the time she’s just crying because she doesn’t want to go to bed. The other 10% of the time something is actually wrong, and this always catches me off guard. We can always tell when her cry changes from the-I-don’t-want-to-go-to-bed-so-get-me-out-of-here cry to the help-me-my-foot-is-stuck-in-the-crib-bars, or oh-no-I-pulled-down-the-playtell-basket-ball-hoop-and-terrified-myself-half-to-death cry. Her cry goes up a notch (or ten) when there is actually something wrong.
So last night, about the time I hit “Publish” on this post, Abby’s wails started inching up into the something-is-wrong category. I closed the laptop and told Brian I’d go see what was on, rolling my eyes the whole time. Stumbling through the dark toward her crib, I bend down to pick her up and instead of her diaper and pajama pants I feel… her bare bum.
What?! Her diaper is off, laying somewhere in the unknown and she has put her pants almost all the way back on (just not up over her little bum).
“Abby, where is your diaper? Why did you take your diaper off?“ My eyes are adjusting to the dark and I can see her face. She gives me a look that says, duh, mom. Oh great, now she’s completely rational.
“Dipoh yucky. Took off. All gone.” She shrugs her little shoulders and lifts her hands at, “All gone.” Her lips are pouty, tear drops are lingering on her cheeks. I look into her blue eyes, shake my head, secretly smile. Good grief, this girl.
The diaper is in her crib; it’s just wet but she can’t stand a wet diaper now that she’s gone in the potty. I change her into footy pajamas (try getting out of that, sweet girl) and put on a new diaper. Hudson has somehow, miraculously, slept through her crying.
She is calm again, says “yeah” she would like to go to bed now. But when I put her in the crib her crying starts again. Last night she said, “Home. Go home!” so I know she’s having a hard time transitioning.
In the end, nothing calms her. The only reason anybody got any sleep last night is because Brian went and slept by her crib. She’s always okay when daddy’s around.
So here I am, facing a change that might drive me just a little bit crazy. It’s so funny that I wrote a post on graciously accepting change just last week! I think it’s time for me to take my own advice. 🙂
Thank you all for reading! If you are facing a difficult transition, or have faced one recently, I’d love to hear how you endured. I’m hoping to do it with grace and patience!